Peter Driver House

Peter Driver was a free Black man that owned land in Concord Township beginning in 1825 — prior to the American Civil War and 40 years before slavery was abolished. Peter Driver purchased 20.25 acres from Ezekiel Pyle in 1825, and additional acres from Job Perkins at a later date. He built a house c. 1830, and lived on the property with his wife, Lushada, and their 3 children. His property was located in the area now known as the Clayton neighborhood, at the corner of Garnet Mine Road and Concord Road. His other land parcel was located near the Concord Road-Featherbed Lane intersection.
According to the 1850 Census, Peter Driver owned 35 acres, 18 of which were used for farming. He produced hay, corn, wheat, grass seed, and potatoes. He owned 2 horses, 4 pigs, 1 steer, and 1 cow, and produced 150 lbs. of butter and $35 worth of livestock a year. He also owned an orchard on the property that produced $100 worth of fruit a year. The whole farm was valued at $1,500 in 1850.
Peter Driver was likely a cow farmer or tanner by trade. According to a newspaper article, Peter Driver owned a cow that gave birth to conjoined-twin calves. The article noted that the calf had 2 heads, 2 tails, 6 legs, and 2 backbones. Peter Driver died in 1883, and his property went to his daughter Anna Louisa Driver.
In 1900, the property was purchased by Thomas Booth.
In 1966, Delaware County purchased the property and demolished the house. However, many of the original Driver House floorboards were saved and used in the restoration of the Polecat Road House (Resource #141).
The Peter Driver House and the long-standing land ownership of the Driver Family is significant in the overall history of Black successes within Concord Township during the 19th century.