Dr. Benjamin F. Leggett House aka Ward Academy

The Dr. Benjamin Leggett House, also known as Ward Academy, is a frame Victorian Farmhouse built in 1882 for Dr. Benjamin F. Leggett, A.M., and his wife, Sarah Leggett. Dr. Leggett was hired by Prof. Joseph Shortlidge of the Maplewood Institute (also known as Concordville Seminary) to become the school’s Vice President in 1867. Previously, Dr. Leggett was the principal of the Collegiate Institute in Charlottesville, New York. He worked at Maplewood Institute with his wife until the 1882. Dr. Leggett then opened Ward Academy out of his home, which was a high school program for further education. It operated until 1912.
Aside from being a successful educator, Dr. Leggett was also known for his published poetry. He wrote such poems as “Cruise of the Half Moon,” “Idyll of Lake George,” “City of Doom,” “Outdoor Poems,” and many others.
Dr. Leggett returned to him home state of New York in 1919, and died in 1924.
This house is a private residence and not open to the public.
Concord Township Historic Resource #113