Alexander Scott & Son Mill Complex

The beloved Il Granaio restaurant in Ward Village, formerly Richards & Schrader, began as the Alexander Scott & Son mill complex in 1884.
Alexander Scott and his son Norris Scott established a saw and grist mill along Concord Creek (also known as Ward Run), and later a built a lumber yard.
In 1916, Taylor Richards and Gilbert Schrader purchased the property and kept the lumber yard, and added a coal yard and feed business. Lewis Schrader and Walter Schrader joined the firm, and bought Howard Brown’s lumber, coal, and feed business in Chester Heights and conducted business at both places under the name Richards & Schrader.
The original building was destroyed by a devastating fire in 1936, but was rebuilt.
The Richards & Schrader feed building was sold in the 1960s, and went through a variety of different businesses and ownerships until it became the present restaurant, Il Granaio.
Concord Township Historic Resource #110