Copper Beech Tree

The Old Copper Beech Tree of Concord, Pennsylvania.

The Copper Beech Tree For many years, the Pierce Willits property that currently houses the Concord Township Historical Society Museum has enjoyed an old establishment. In the side yard there stands an ancient Copper Beech tree. The arrangement of the dark leaves is such that they overlap one another, creating an impenetrable canopy and a […]

Civil War and Concord

The Civil War and Concord One hundred and fifty years ago, on April 9, 1865, General Lee surrendered to General Grant at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, ending the war between the North and South. To commemorate the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War, our museum has some exhibits that highlight the part Concord Township played in […]

First Telephone Switchboard

Village of Concordville: The First Telephone Switchboard in Concord Township K . Jester house, circa 1870, Resource # 174 on the Concord Township Historic Resources Inventory The Village of Concordville grew during the mid-late nineteenth century, with homes and businesses to support the growing agriculture in the township. Located at the intersection of Baltimore Pike […]

The Flood of 1971

The High-Water Mark on the Crozer Schoolhouse.

Devastating flood waters struck Concord Township on September 13, 1971. The rain began on Sept 11 but was much harder on Sept 13th & water rose quickly.  The Chester Creek and its branches & tributaries were flooded when a stationary front stalled over the local area.  The destruction started in the western areas of Delaware […]